Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Goodbye Jerry Falwell.

The hardest thing about the death of Jerry Falwell is that my initial gut reaction was one I'm absolutely not proud of. The first thought that went through my mind was, "And don't let the doors of hell slap you on your way in."

As Truth Wins Out's Executive Director Wayne Besen said, "While our hearts go out to his family. we can't help but to reflect on his life and think about all of the families he's torn apart and teenagers that committed suicide because he made them feel inferior. He never missed an opportunity to kick our better angels to the curb and capitalize on our lesser demons to advance his career."

The gay and lesbian people in this country, in Jerry Falwell, had a vicious opponent who claimed that AIDS was "God's punishment," who fought vigorously to make sure we were denied any kind of legal standing with our loved ones, and who betrayed us when we approached him for a face to face meeting in Lynchburg -- withholding a promised meal (because he decided he couldn't eat with "sinners") and shoving the hateful Michael Johnston in our faces, the so-called exgay who was having unsafe gay sex orgies on the side despite his HIV+ status.

And yet, people who I respect, who were close to him, said he was actually a man of strong principles who did what he genuinely thought was right, and who wasn't simply a hypocritical shill. At the very least, I can hold some respect for people who say what they mean and mean what they say.

Sadly, from his beginnings as a confirmed segregationist (who later recanted) to the man who bitterly tried to cheat us of our civil rights before the law, Rev. Falwell mixed politics and religion and created a nasty stew of homophobic bigotry and hate.

Their side always said that they could "love the sinner but hate the sin." The question that I confront, as a person dedicated to non-violence of thought, word or deed, is whether I can do the same to a man I've alternately despised and outright loathed during his time here on earth.

I don't know if I can. And that's my burden to bear.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want an answer, Steve, it's yes.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I'm going to retract that statement, if only because just a week ago, he told CNN he still stands behind his 9/11 comments.

I just hope that whereever he is, he's looking up at me (I can't speak for anyone else) giving him the finger; he's not looking down, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Well said! You are being more than fair.

Elizabeth Pax said...

Ding dong the witch is dead.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't a big fan of Falwell. In fact, I found him to be a bit kooky at times. However, if you are dancing on his grave (as some appear to be in the comments section), then you should be looking into your own heart. It's not a healthy way to live.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I think that's great. I want to get where you are Punkin, but I can't help feeling the world's a little kinder without him in it.

Anonymous said...

How can you find the world to be kind when people are rejoicing in someone's death? What about his wife and children? What about his friends? Do you really think your celebration is any more righteous than that of Fred Phelps when he carries on?

Steve Schalchlin said...

What you're seeing, "Anonymous," is the extent of the pain that Rev. Falwell has caused others in his lifetime. He's the one who chose to extend his political power outside the realm of his pulpit and church body. He has caused death and destruction through his hateful and homophobic political power. That is what you're seeing being expressed by the people who you describe as "dancing on his grave."

He spent a great deal of effort putting a lot of GLBT people into their graves and he was poured salt into the wounds of those left behind. One reaps what one sows.

Anonymous said...

But aren't they doing the very thing they hate him for?

Steve Schalchlin said...

>But aren't they doing the very thing they hate him for?

I don't know. Do gay people try to prevent Christians from marrying? Do they lobby the gov't to limit their civil rights? Do they tell families that their Christian family members are perverts and should be forced into conversion camps to de-Christianize them?

As I said in my blog, I'm not proud of my feelings about Jerry Falwell. I don't like harboring feelings of "hate." So, this is the work that I have to do myself, to find a different perspective and change myself.

What others choose to feel is up to them. For us, Rev. Falwell was a fountain of hate and intolerance against our people. Not just in word, but in deed. I think we have a right to our negative feelings about him.

It doesn't make it "right" or "wrong" to feel this way. It just is. In a perfect world, perhaps we would simply recognize that he was a victim of misinformation and feel compassion for the fact that he did so much wrong in this life.

I don't know. I'm just trying to do what I feel is moral and right.

Elizabeth Pax said...

I do not believe that DEATH is the worst thing in the world to endure. As Patrick Henry said, "Is life so dear or peace so sweet to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

I agree with Patrick Henry. The loss of Liberty is FAR more horrific than the loss of life.

What is the point of life if it is lived without liberty?

I believe in reincarnation. I believe that Mr. Falwell's soul is now choosing another path so that he can learn new lessons. I am happy that he is being given another chance to find the path of the light. The path of liberty and life.

I am happy that his negative influence, his prohibiting the liberty of many American Citizens, is finally over.

North Dallas Thirty said...

The simple fact of the matter is that you can always find an excuse to hate.

The question is whether you will allow yourself to use them.

You will lose no popularity in the gay community if you give in to hate; in fact, as several commentors have shown here, you will increase your popularity.

Your choice.