Monday, June 11, 2007

My New York Visit

I took the $15 bus from JFK to Port Authority. As we were crossing mid-town from the East Side to the West, a kid behind me with a cell phone was totally freaking out about being in New York.

"OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M HERE! What? I'm not sure where we are..."

I said, without hesitation, "Approaching Times Square."

"Oh, thanks! OH MY GOD!! CONDE NAST!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M LOOKING AT CONDE NAST!!"

Then we passed Times Square and I told him Port Authority was one block down at 8th Avenue.

And it hit me. I'm talking to him like I'm a native. I love New York.

Buzzed Murphy Cross. She said, "I can't believe you just called me. I was going out for coffee."

It was about 8pm. The shows would just have been starting. Since Paul (Kreppel) was now starring in an off-Broadway show, "My Father's Italian, My Mother's Jewish..." I thought she might be down there until the curtain went up.

I told her, "I don't drink coffee, but I'd love to go to the Polish Tea Room. Why don't you join me?" (The Polish Tea Room is the insider name for the Edison Diner in the Edison Hotel on 46th street.

And she did. Murphy is a bundle of energy and smiling deliciousness. By the time I go there, she was sitting behind a coffee, perched on the vinyl banquette, looking more petite and adorable than ever. (Murphy and Paul produced The Big Voice in New York, but the big news at this moment was that the other show they both produced, co-wrote and co-directed was the Jay Johnson show, The Two And Only, is nominated for a Tony.

We were one day away from the Tony Awards show, and everyone was really excited.

I saw Andy, the older Asian waiter.

"Mr. Steve! Where's Mr. Jim?"

"He's back in LA right now. I'm just here for a short visit."

"And Amy? She come?"

"Amy lives here, but I won't see her until later in the week."

"Diet Coke, right?"

"Yep. Diet Coke."

No comments: