Monday, March 23, 2009

13th Blog-iversary. March 24.

Tuesday, March 24th is the 13th anniversary of this diary/blog.

I did not have any idea I would alive this long. I remember full well that, at the time, I was getting desperately ill -- and would continue downhill until the summer of '96 when Crixivan finally arrived by FedEx, probably at the very last moment that it had any chance of working.

Then, June of '96 saw us working on our very first workshop production of The Last Session with me playing Gideon (since, at the time, I didn't know how to write out music charts, nor did I know anything about arranging -- so we winged it and just threw it together the best we could). Adding to the complications was the fact that I was hooked up to an I.V. for 14 hours a day, infusing nutrition because my entire digestive system had failed.

Slowly, during that long month of July, I began to gain weight. The show got better and better, and by the end of our run, we had totally sold out the venue. And on the last night, at curtain, I "triumphantly" pulled the IV out of my arm and announced that I was going to cross my fingers and hope that my body would begin to sustain itself.

And it did.

And I'm still here.

Happy blog-iversary to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
It's been a rough ride at times, however!
--Denny

Elizabeth Pax said...

You are too stubborn to let a little thing like AIDs slowly kill you.

Your death has to be much more exciting and dramatic!

Chris said...

That's incredible...wish my cousin had had this miracle drug, but it wasn't available....I know you know how lucky you are! Congrats on making it this far!

Steve Schalchlin said...

Chris, I most definitely do know how lucky I am. I'm so very sorry you lost your cousin. I have long dedicated my blog to the people we've lost.

Bev Sykes said...

"I'm still here" is the very best part of this entry. Congarulations!

The Minnesota Photo Alliance said...

We are all better for the fact that Fed-ex came when it did. Love you.

Amy Lynn said...

Happy Anniversary, sweetie. I love sharing it with you.

Gabi Clayton said...

We are very lucky that you are so lucky Steve. I am SO glad you are still here with us. You have no idea how much knowing you has changed my life - I can't imagine it without your shining through. ((((HUGS)))) and happy anniversary to you from one of your nubihe groupies. :-)

Devin Richards said...

happy anniversary!!!
time to get motivated again!