Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Workshop Leader

It's been fun getting to know all the people down at Kulak's. The truth is that it is exactly what the songwriters want it to be. When Marc Platt asked me to help facilitate the songwriting workshops on Wednesday nights, I was flattered to be asked. But I was also a bit nervous because I haven't developed a "program" for how to write a song.

Marc and I are volunteering our services, and donations are made to help pay the rent so that we can keep the place open. (And I say "we" because I am he as you are me and we are all together.) I just follow his lead and, thankfully, he knows what he's doing.

Now, I've been asked by my friend, JD Sebastian, to facilitate a songwriter workshop for a new group of songwriters and musicians concerned about the environment. They've formed a loose association called songs4earth.com and we're going to do the workshop on Saturday morning at MCC-LA.

Truthfully, I don't know if songwriting can be taught, but I have found that in our Kulak's workshop, the songwriters there are telling me that they learn from just experiencing the techniques I've introduced to them when we do a "group songwriting."

For me, it's a great way to sharpen my skills. In fact, Tuesday night, I was so inspired by all of this activity I sat down and wrote a song called "It Ain't Home." I just have a little tweaking to do before it's finished. So, when that's done, I'll record it, or do it down at the open mic and put up a video.

Meanwhile, I'm planning to visit Jim at the end of the month down in Florida and we've agree to do a one night performance of The Big Voice as a fundraiser for the theatre, which is really hurting in this economic meltdown. I'll have more information very soon. If you're around the Ft. Lauderdale area, please come and see us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, Please let us know more about when you will be here in South Florida to perform with Jim. I saw "Zero Hour" when Jim was here in the summer and loved the show. Mark

Steve Schalchlin said...

I will post the info right here as soon as it's finalized.