Saturday, June 06, 2009

A Letter From Iraq

Last night at Kulak's Woodshed, I was doing my usual on-air hosting for the live broadcast when suddenly we had an email.

It was from a soldier in Iraq.

He was writing because he was excited that we were featuring two singers, Siobhan Quinn and Michael Bowers -- an incredibly talented husband and wife duo from Virginia whom he loved. And he was excited that they played a song that, for a moment, brought him back to the place he first heard it.

That was our first email from Iraq and it brought home to me how connected this world is. That he could be there watching us playing music on the other side of the world through a simple Internet connection.

It's especially meaningful to me because I've been talking to Bill Kibler, who is spearheading a campaign to issue a stamp commemorating the Beirut veterans. It was Bill who made it possible for us to broadcast "The Last Session" live over the Internet back when everyone was still on dial-up. (For the record, the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee rejected the idea of the stamp because they have a policy of not issuing stamps about tragedies.)

I've also been working on a song about a soldier's mom. The demo recording is almost done. As soon as I've let it settle in a bit, I'll make a video. It's based on a true story, and I love this song. I hope it's as good as I think it is.

(Iraq soldier photo by Victoria5653).

2 comments:

Jim Dowd said...

that is not a solider in Iraq.

That solider in Israel. Note her uniform, weapon and boots.

Steve Schalchlin said...

You're probably right. I had googled "soldier" and liked that one.