Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Sky Saxon

Sky Saxon died. His band was called "The Seeds."

His song was a garage band that found a groove and a hook, "Pushing Too Hard," that kinda sorta spoke to the bratty teenager of the late 60s era as well as to the "too cool to live on earth" crowd.

Here's a video "from 1966." You can see how they're presenting. Tough. A little arrogant.



Then I found this. Here they are in Feb. 1967 with Kaye Ballard and Eve Arden on "The Mothers-In-Law." This is beyond priceless. The teevee dialogue is so Brady Bunch.



Speaking of anthems.

November 1996.

"I Can't Seem To Make You Mine" is one of those songs that is a hook surrounded by what sounds like cat sounds in the vocal and guitar. The lyrics are junior high level, which is why they're so appropriate to the groove -- and that's what fun about this song, is just his groove and way his voice cracks around it.



Hmmmm. Guilty Pleasure Night...

3 comments:

Michael said...

Those are some great clips. I just watched that episode of The Mothers-in-Law!

Michelle36 said...

Hi Steve,
What a wonderful blog. I'l be spending more time on here.
LOve,
Michelle

Steve Schalchlin said...

I was so pleased last night, Michelle, when Severin mentioned that you are practically a one-woman fan club for a number of Woodshed regulars. Thank you for that! For me, it's like coming back to a world I used to be a part of, and even helped create.

I'm only now absorbing what this time has meant to me, volunteering at the Woodshed. And it's at a critical point now. Paul really hasn't got a dime to his name. We're all just trying to do what we can to help.