Thursday, March 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday Thoughts by Jim Brochu.

Jim Brochu wrote on Facebook.
THROWBACK THURSDAY THOUGHTS: When I was a naïve young actor (now I’m a naïve old actor; I was thrown out of every acting class I ever took), I was told to visualize how I wanted to spend a perfect day and the dream would become reality.
I saw myself waking up knowing I had a show that night, then dash off to do a radio interview with one of New York’s wittiest theatre raconteurs, get to sing to an audience with a virtuoso at the piano, meet a fan who saw your show the night before and said I made her laugh, do the show, then hang out with legends and talk about theatre, then go home with my best friend who just happened to have a camera. Ah, well. I know those days are gone forever. But I had a nice day anyway.
I was the best friend with the camera.

So let's review:

 I was told to visualize how I wanted to spend a perfect day and the dream would become reality. 

We trudged around in the cold rain, lugging a bag with the camera.

I saw myself waking up knowing I had a show that night


I would say that qualifies as your own show in New York City. BTW, he's wearing my tie.

 then dash off to do a radio interview with one of New York’s wittiest theatre raconteurs


Seth Rudetsky interviews Jim.
For those of you who live in places, both physically and culturally where the rare and hysterically comedic gifts of Seth Rudetsky aren't appreciated -- you're not a theater queen -- I feel sorry for you. He is exceptionally witty and entertaining. He also has a show on Sirius Radio. So you can listen to Jim's spot all weekend.

True musical nirvana, though, was listening to Seth and Jim talk about Davy Burns. Seth has a great knowledge of the golden age of musicals, but somehow David Burns had slipped through under his radar -- the curse of the Character Man. When Jim started reeling off Davy's credits: Original Banjo in The Man Who Came To Dinner, Mayor in The Music Man, Senex in Forum, and Horace Vandergelder opposite Carol Channing in Hello Dolly, you could see his jaw drop.

But there was also that wonderful glee in his eye, the glee any true lover of musical theater and its history when they learn one more thing that helps to complete the puzzle that artform that brings such happiness.

Live theater cannot be duplicated, so all of it comes to us second hand.

 get to sing to an audience with a virtuoso at the piano,


Seth Rudetsky.
Did I mention Seth is also one of the best musicians in town? And they all sang along, too! And he has a hilarious musical running, too, called "Disaster!" a take-off on 70s disaster movies.

"We got trouble! Right here in River City!"

meet a fan who saw your show the night before and said I made her laugh

An unexpected fan says how she saw Character Man just the night before.
Seth Rudetsky and Jim Brochu.

do the show, then hang out with legends and talk about theatre,

One Wednesday nights, they are doing talkback sessions with theater historian, author, critic and columnist Peter Filichia. On this night -- the night of Davy Burns' death -- the talkback featured Sondra Lee, the legendary Jerry Robbins dancer. She originated Tiger Lily in Peter Pan, and Minnie Fay in Hello Dolly with Davy. And Lee Roy Reams, who starred on Broadway in 42nd Street and also the revival of Hello Dolly (with Carol Channing).

Sondra Lee, Lee Roy Reams, Peter Filichia, Jim Brochu.


Peter Filichia, Jim Brochu.

Sondra Lee.
"Davy Burns put on the same performance every night.
He never missed a line, a cue, an entrance or a punch line."

Sondra Lee.
"I didn't get to know him. He showed up on stage and then that's was it.
He was more of a guy's guy. Didn't hang out with the girls."

Sondra Lee was born in 1930.

Lee Roy Reams is legendary for his theater stories.

Lee Roy Reams laughs at something Sondra Lee is saying. Peter Filichia and Jim Brochu look on.

Sondra Lee, Lee Roy Reams.

Sondra Lee is a stunningly beautiful woman.

Jim Brochu.

Peter Filicia listening to Jim Brochu.

Peter Filichia.

Sondra Lee, Jim Brochu, Lee Roy Reams, Peter Filichia.

Ah, well. I know those days are gone forever. But I had a nice day anyway.

Yeah. Too bad he didn't get to fulfill his fantasy day. No wonder he got thrown out of acting class!

No comments: